Originally built in 1903, this Chateau-style mansion was the original home of the Chicago’s South Side museum collection of Black art and memorabilia. The historic home located at 3806 S. Michigan Avenue in Chicago went through a number of incarnations within the community. It was the Quincy Club in the late 1930s, operated by an association of Black railroad workers who ran a boarding house, a pub and a private social club on the site.
The Quincy Club accommodated Black railroad workers operating on the City of New Orleans railroad route along the Mississippi River. Their exclusion from “white only” Chicago hotels encouraged their creating their own community facilities. The historic home is located at 3806 S. Michigan Avenue in Chicago, Illinois.